Possibly constructed in 1875, this Lydiard Street frontage was purchased as an investment by trustees of the Juvenile Industrial Exhibition after a profitable exhibition was held in 1878. By 1885 this two storey building in Lydiard Street, Ballarat was let to the Commercial Club with the first floor used for their club rooms and the ground floor occupied by shops, in a similar manner to the adjacent Old Colonists Association of Ballarat building.
A number of social mens clubs were formed in Ballarat in the later nineteenth century, the most exclusive being the Ballarat Club which drew members from the Western District and from such areas as law, banking and the public service. The Commercial Club appears to have been formed in the 1870s to serve as a social venue for merchants, manufacturers and other businessmen.
In 1924 this building became tea rooms operated by the Misses Brazenor, becoming known as the Alexandria Tea Rooms in 1936. This use continued at least into the 1970s and later became known as Alexandria Receptions in the 1980s and 1990s.
Designed in a Renaissance Revival style, this two storey building has a two storey verandah which appears to have been constructed at a later date.