Warragul Drill Hall was built from 1912 to 1913. It was the first of about forty timber and iron drill halls built in Victoria between 1912 and 1916 and was the prototype for all of this type built in Australia following the introduction of compulsory universal military training in 1911.
Commonwealth architect John Smith Murdoch was probably responsible for the generic design, apparently developed from Queensland models, in response to the Minister for Defence's stipulation that "the cost of drill halls was to be put down to bedrock". Although the drawings for the Warragul Drill Hall were signed by Thomas Hill, Works Director, and Horace J. Mackennal, draftsman of the Victorian Public Works Branch of the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs, Murdoch had ultimate design responsibility.
Warragul Shire Council donated a block of land adjoining the showground and recreation reserve and on 13 August 1913 the Warragul Drill Hall was opened, the first of its type in Australia. Built originally for the Warragul, Drouin and Trafalgar area to house the 46th Infantry, 13th Light Horse and 45th Cadets, the drill hall has been home to a number of units. It also served as a recruiting centre during both world wars, a prisoner of war control centre from 1944 to 1946, a sports facility, and is currently used for gymnastics classes.